The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) on Friday imposed a five-year ban on Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for his alleged misbehaviour with the cricket body officials and security guards on Wednesday night.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) was, however, quick to react saying the final decision would be taken by it.
Emerging out of an emergency meeting of MCA, its president Vilasrao Deshmukh told media persons, “MCA condemns the behaviour of Shahrukh Khan He is banned for five years from entering Wankhede Stadium.”
He said the decision to ban SRK was unanimous and was taken so as to act as a deterrent for the celebrities not behaving properly. Calling SRK’s behaviour unacceptable he said the actor used disgusting language.
The MCA has also lodged a complaint with the BCCI. After Wednesday night’s incident, there was growing chorus in the MCA to ban SRK for life from entering the grounds.
However, BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla, who is also the Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman, stepped into the controversy saying that any organisation was free to pass resolutions, but the final decision rested with the BCCI.
“Any organisation can pass resolution, but final decision will be taken by BCCI,” Shukla said.
The MCA decision came despite hectic efforts to broker truce between the cricket body and the actor. The IPL officials were hopeful that the MCA would not resort to a life ban on the actor, as sought by it on Thursday. The IPL officials spoke to both SRK, a co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), and MCA top brass ahead of the crucial meet.
The MCA had earlier indicated that it would not ban SRK for life if he apologised for his behaviour. SRK got into a fight with the security personnel at Wankhede on Wednesday night after KKR won the match against Mumbai Indians.