West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday appealed to the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to reconsider ban on Shah Rukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for five years.
“Shah Rukh is our brand ambassador. We even love Sachin and Saurav. But this is a matter of the Maharastra government, with whom we share a good relation. I am not sure whether it is proper fror me to comment, but I would appeal to the concerned authorities to reconsider the decision,” said the CM.
The chief minister also said that Shah Rukh was there in the stadium with kids and whatever happened just because of some misunderstanding.
Earlier on the day, the Mumbai Cricket Association banned Shah Rukh Khan from entering the Wankhede Stadium for five years for misbehaving with its officials and violating its rules.
The “unanimous” decision was taken at the MCA managing committee meeting called to discuss action on Khan who was involved in a skirmish with the security and officials of the association after KKR’s victory over Mumbai Indians on Wednesday night.
MCA President Vilasrao Deshmukh, who chaired the meeting, said that his association was sending out a message that misbehaviour of any kind would not be tolerated.
“If rules are violated, action will be taken. It does not depend who the individual is. It’s a message to everyone whosoever he or she may be that stern action will be taken if there is any misbehaviour,” he told a press conference.
Khan had, however, had denied he had misbehaved and acted only after children, including his kids, were “manhandled” by the security staff.
IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla, however, said that a final decision will be taken by the BCCI.
“State bodies can only recommend but a final decision has to be taken by the BCCI. When the matter comes to BCCI, the Board will decide (on the ban),” he told reporters in New Delhi.