In a relief to Abu Salem, who is facing trial in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has decided to withdraw the additional charges against the underworld don, sources told on Wednesday.
The decision to scale down charges was taken after the Portuguese Supreme Court reminded India that Salem could not be sentenced to death or life sentence according to the extradition agreement.
The CBI decided to withdraw additional charges after consulting top officials of the ministry of home affairs and ministry of external affairs.
Salem was slapped with additional charges by Mumbai’s TADA court after which he had approached the Indian Supreme Court. While he moved the apex court, his lawyer had approached the Portuguese courts.
The Supreme Court had stayed the case against Salem last week. However, sources said there was no question of handing Salem back to Portugal.
Salem had been extradited to India in 2005 after the government gave an undertaking that he would not be charged with any offence punishable with either a death sentence or more than 25 years in prison.