The number of telephone subscribers of BSNL and MTNL is increasing on year-by-year basis. However, the growth in case of BSNL & MTNL is less as compared to that of some private operators.
The Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Sh Milind Deora told Lok Sabha today that Department of Telecommunications (DoT) regularly reviews the performance of BSNL and MTNL to improve their financial health. Some of the steps taken by BSNL and MTNL to make them profitable are as follows:
• Optimizing CAPEX and OPEX through convergence and consolidation of infrastructure.
• Strengthening of stable revenue streams through concerted focus on broadband and enterprise business with major focus on Government projects.
• Focussing on the revenue from top 100 Cities for monitoring purpose.
• Sustained operational focus on customer care, service delivery, service assurance, revenue management and asset management.
• Aggressive push on Data usage and value added services.
• Clear cut segregation of commercial activities from social obligation to ensure sustainable growth.
• Progressive migration of current network to Next generation network thereby ensuring convergence, consolidation and seamless delivery of various services to end customers across different technologies.
He said, to bring about synergies between various telecom units of DoT, a committee was constituted by DoT. The Committee has recommended that DoT may encourage creation and recognition of synergistic alliance of BSNL and MTNL through appropriate policy interventions and support for optimum utilisation of their resources and strengths to their mutual benefit.
In addition, one of the provisions in the draft revised National Telecom Policy (NTP- 2012), inter-alia also contains the provision to encourage recognition and creation of synergistic alliance of public sector and other organisations of Department of Telecommunications.