The Supreme Court on Monday admitted Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab’s petition challenging his conviction and death sentence awarded in connection with the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
Taking cognisance of Kasab’s appeal, the apex court stayed his death sentence till his petition was heard. It also issued a notice to the Maharashtra government on Kasab’s petition.
Significantly, the Supreme Court said Kasab did not deserve an appeal, but it was the duty of the judicial system to hear his appeal.
“Your man does not deserve yet another appeal in this highest court of the land,” the SC told the defence counsel.
The hearing was adjourned till October 14.
Reacting to the apex court order, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, who fought the 26/11 case, said, “The order is expected and part of usual procedure.”
Kasab, the only attacker arrested alive by the Mumbai Police during the November 26, 2008 carnage, had been awarded death penalty by a special anti-terror court on May 6, 2010 for his role in the crime.
The sentence was later upheld by the Bombay High Court on February 21, 2011. Kasab’s death penalty was upheld on charges of criminal conspiracy, waging war against the nation, IPC section related to murder and under sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The 26/11 attacks had left 161 people dead and several others injured.